Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Van Strangler

Ren wondered when I'd get to this, in fact feared when I'd get to this.....

I'm not sure if the pause was because the event needed to percolate some or that I had to wait and be sure not to have too much residual irritation toward her that would sour the post - ie our marriage......

Our two princesses have issues going to bed and that's just a fact.
We take full responsibility in that we don't really want them off so quickly, meaning 8pm or earlier as we don't get to play and have fun as coming home from work, dressing changes etc would only allow a solid two hours.  So things get drawn out, sometimes a lot.

Never mind that for the last 2.5 yrs Raquel almost always wants one of us to drift out upon.
For some reason out of the norm Ren had Coco going to bed at 8.  So the full pre-bed rituals took place much earlier.  But has habit trains the mind and body, Coco couldn't relax and every few moments she'd rise and walk out, thus disturbing the work being done on settling Raquel.  At one point they were both almost asleep so when Coco comes out at 9 asking for something to eat and Raquel jumping up in anticipation of getting to feed someone again, the second wind came in at full force.  Within minutes they are as active as at 8am and are milling about causing a ruckus.

I think I was taking a back seat to this operation as they were both clammering for Mommy to snuggle with them.  So off to Coco's room they go.
Seconds later I hear angry/scared elevated words from Ren repeated by Sh&$ in a quick staccato rhythm going on and on.
Welling in the background are the cries and screams of Raquel.
Within a second or two I'm standing at the threshold of the bedroom to see Raquel standing in the middle of the floor crying and Ren sitting on Coco's bed still repeating her singular SH*#.

It's a little gray the conversation at that point as Ren is nearly incoherent as is Raqu.  I'm pretty sure it was Coco that explained what happened before Ren was able to fill in the details.

Short story long - Raquel was despirately trying to get onto Coco's bed to join in on the cuddles and used her only way up.  So one foot on the baseboard heater, one knee on the blister maker bed rail then a semi jump climb to the pillow with Coco.  Problem was that Cordelia has a long twine rope hanging from her window that has puffy cloth letters for her name spaced evenly over the 5' they hang to the bedside.  Raqu, while climbing up had this twine rope tangled at her neck.  As Ren panicked that her knees were about to take a beating she picked her up (in the dark room) and walked toward the door to hand her off to me.  Except, after two steps the rope tightened....

I think it's OK to blog about wanting to tighten that same rope around Ren's neck moments later, but I'm sure common sense will always prevail as life as a solo EB dad in jail could be rather daunting.

I picked up Raqu and went to the change table and did a little wound work at an impossible part of her body full of folds and bends to have things hold and not cause more damage.
Once she was in better spirits we went back down the hall and Raqu walked in and told her crying mommy

"look mommy, I'm OK, daddy fixed me".

Except a good portion of her skin from the front right side of her neck up around the long way to the back right side of her neck had a distinctive slasher look helped by the drops and streaks of blood covering her collar and shoulder.

I still think it was harder for me not to get mad at Ren than is was for Ren to get her self to stop crying from her darkened mindless blunder.
I have to admit I've seen Raquel actually wrap that rope around her neck before and when I freak out to tell her to stop doing it she only holds it tighter and tries to get away from me with it still attached.
So as much as I bug Andrew about Darwin's theories and potential awards for his boy, Raquel has some basic evolutionary issues of her own less the missing gene Ren and I were not able to pass on.

The next morning our nurse had taken Raquel to a toy store for a walk and a little play time.
I'm sure it's easy to imagine 'the horror' of the mothers present with their children in the area looking at a child with distinctive strangulation marks around her neck and large patches of red raw oozing dermis.
Meanwhile Raquel was about business as usual.  Joyous, playful and determined not to let a mere flesh wound get in her way.
Still - Monty Python And The Holy Grail (mere Flesh Wound)

No comments:

Post a Comment