Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sailing on the clouds



What a few days we've had!!
Raquel has been happier than I think she ever has.  She's also had almost no meds in comparison to other times.  She just slipped out of our last little bump into one of the happiest times I think I've known her to have.
She's been giggling and playing all day every day on top of throwing down some nice vocabulary.

She had a sentence this evening that included 'myself'.  It took me by surprise, not sure why, but it was very nice to hear.

We pushed Cordelia to get up twice this weekend and to be standing in her ski gear by 6:15 am. 
She probably didn't have to get up that early, but a quiet game of uno over a warm cranberry muffin and a 'quad' (esspreso) was calling.  We had and a few nice moments and I was sure Cordelia needed the extra time to quietly prepare mentally for the day ahead.  It helped that she won out the weekend in cards.

Today was her second race and I think her excitement for this fairly demanding sport has now come close to what mine is in watching her.

She was so cute sliding down around the gates, to add to it there was a speed course, a small skating course and a jump.
I was trying to give her advice for the jump, but didn't realize the mothers of the other kids standing by were also beside me when I described how to get the best distance.

Tuck down to the jump, then at the edge kick and jump up as high as you can and tuck your body pushing your hands forward.  Don't worry about the landing till later.  It's the jump that matters.
I heard a few words that described the typical dad unconcerned about injury.

Whatever.....  Coco and I watched a 10 year old on youtube the night before doing the 30' high monster jumps doing 360's and 720's.  What's 10-15' off a well controlled 3' lip???
 
My mom drove Ren and Raquel up for the last three hours with back pack in hand.
It was nice, my early ideas of taking off for a ski tour and coming back when all was done didn't run it's course.  The sun and cool race course setup at the edge of the trees was hard to beat and the better choice was clearly made.
I heard the call for course volunteers and was asked to help a group of parents to push flat the snow at the outsides of the turns.  After a few runs I decided Raquel should also take a run of the course.

So on the back she went and we plowed the course with her giggles and her frequent requests for me to 'slow' down....
After we plowed the course

random eagle flying in background


GO! Coco!

Raqu hamming it up - Gangnam Style.

Couldn't have had more fun hanging with my girls today!!!!

To add.
We just found out Cordelia medalled.
Woops.
We left before the award ceremony.  I can't imagine how happy she would have been to stand on the podium and receive a medal.  She would have looked like any fairy tale princess getting her crown.  She wouldn't even let us go till she got her participant ribbon, never mind if I let on that there was metals for placing in each of the events.

The reality was, Ren didn't bring enough of Raqu's gear, so we were at the perceived edge of a breakdown and decided to pull the plug and save ourselves.  The break down didn't come, but maybe it was just the overprotective dad at the end of his wits from watching a fragile kid walking amongst ski's, poles and piles of kids running in every which way in clunky ski boots
OR from turning Raquel around over and over from sneaking to the edge of the ski hill so she can sit down and slide her way to the bottom!!!!

Huston we have a problem...  I'm thinking the sled option with ski's is now an inevitability for Raquel.  Carbon fiber with fluffy safety padding through out.
YIKES!!!

HEHE I'm gonna get my sculptor inventor hat on for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment