Sunday, July 24, 2011

We called the reinforcements for a night away.

Somehow we were able to line up three of our nurses and Simona.
Simona showed up at 6:30 am,
A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away
while Renata and I were in the early stages of marriage, we lived in Simona's ground floor unit (cave dwellers then too).
I had a beautiful fun and playful dog named Burny.  Whom Simona only tolerated because of her love for Renata and Renata's love for me.
Well, Burny and I would once and a while play outside on the sidewalk and small green strip by the street.
She'd bark a little, jump and race around as I'd chase her up and down the sidewalk.
At 9:30 am three quarters of the people of Vancouver would have either already finished 'The Grind' or gone to work.
Simona would open her window from way up above and shout threats about keeping the peace 'OR ELSE!!!'.   This reminds me of the even more scary threat she gave me the morning I decided to try tasty halibut patties I bought from a fish shop for breakfast.  Unfortunately the smell permeated the vents in the house and made it up three floors.
She nearly evicted us.
ME & my dog, but for the love of Renata.
How could anyone create such an ungodly smell like that in the morning???
I have to admit, it was a little fishy smelling, but 9:30 am on the street should be fair game...
Anyway, seeing Simona show up at our house so early to be the main manager of our very high maintenance little girl is nothing short of a sign of epic devotion to our little family.
ahh at least Renata, Raquel and Cordelia.
A few hours later our first nurse showed up and this team effort lasted till 7am the next day when Simona took over for herself.  We showed up in a quiet state of complete relaxation at 5 pm.
Where did we go?
We took a ferry over to Vancouver Island rented a few kayaks with Andrew and Kai and paddled to a little island in the sun and overwhelming beauty of our stunning province.
Cordelia sat in the front of my kayak, Ren was supposed to go with Gabi, but she pulled out at the last minute as we were to board the ferry.
Allergies.
If it's not skin it's something else with this family.
Dammit...
Renata was then stuck alone in her own kayak.  She was freaking out.  I tried to explain some things about kayaking while coming over in the ferry, but she wouldn't listen, so I left her to it once there.
Ren is a little scared of water, waves, physical activities that require many moving parts. haha
not really.
She was lucky Andrew was along and was willing to give her pointers as Cordelia and I were too concerned about catching a few of the fish we kept seeing jump all over the place.  I knew she'd manage, even if she didn't we would have had a great open water rescue story to add to our weekend.
Were we worried about Raquel?
Worried to leave little miss fragile?
Not really.
Raquel's nurses are exceptional.
Simona goes without saying.

video
In my life, I don't think I've had a better two day one night camping trip.
EVER..
The only thing that would have pushed it over the top, was if we were able to pawn Cordelia off on Andrew and Kai and have the tent to our selves.  We did try, but Andrew was wise to our pleas.
Basically the result was feet, arms and legs flopping in our faces all night as Cordelia acted more like a fish out of water.  It wasn't till we got her back into the sleeping bag and zipped it up and tied it tight over her shoulders, making her a safe worm like creature than a thrashing monkey. We were then able to get the rest we had come for.
When Renata woke she realized the importance of her breast pump and relieving the pressure.  No matter, with a few laughs and funny looks from campers walking past we were able to express some creamo for my coffee and alleviate Renata's pain.
3 1/2 hr kayak from cast off


I think Cordelia is having a blast

Tent door looking back to beach

Father and Son

We made a couple phone calls back to Vancouver to see how things were going.
Of course Simona bragged about how much better a care giver she was with Raquel.  Hardly a peep from her and all was bliss.
Yeah right...
I have to admit.
When we showed up at home, our house spotless (till I brought all the beach onto our bedroom floor while unpacking) and Raquel was a star shining and looking very happy.  She even napped well shortly after we arrived, then played and goofed around with Cord and I later, just like we'd expect...
Cool.  Fun to feel normal for a few days.
So grateful we've been able to have some amazing people helping out with Raquel.  Sure helps clear the cobwebs and dark clouds of G-Tubes and EB horrors.
I even think when Raquel is Cordelia's age, we'd be able to attempt this trip with her too.
Except, I'd have a small sailboat and maybe there will be a cabin of sorts at the other end.
One way or another it'll be a family adventure and it's gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment